I’ve started a blog to get myself writing and to do something I’m passionate about whilst studying for my final year in university. I’ve had people requesting for recipes on Instagram and I thought it would be easier to share it on a blog rather than to type everything in a tiny box. So, I hope you’ll follow me on this blog-posting, recipe-creating journey and *fingers crossed* inspire your next meal!
I made this recipe a couple of months ago while I was studying in Los Angeles and really liked how it turned out (yes, I surprised myself). When the sun is scorching hot, I crave for something healthy and light to refresh my body. I wouldn’t want to eat heavy carbs like pizza or noodles, and I wasn’t really feeling a salad either. So, I’ve decided to create something new in the kitchen. I thought, what a better way to enjoy the weather than to eat little parcels of cous cous wrapped in Swiss chard? That’s adorable.
Without any further ado, here’s how I made it!
Recipe for 2
2 cups cous cous
1/2 a lemon
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Cashew nuts, chopped
Thai basil leaves
Sundried tomatoes, diced
Salt to taste
One bunch of coloured Swiss chard
1. Peel 1 beetroot and cut into 1cm wedges. Boil in a pot for 25 minutes, or until soften, then drain. Let it cool and dice into bite size pieces.
2. Next, pour boiling water to cous cous and let it sit for 5 minutes before using a fork to fluff it up.
3. In a bowl, mix cous cous, diced beetroot, lemon, onion powder, garlic powder, cashew nuts, Thai basil leaves, and sundried tomatoes. Season with salt and black pepper accordingly. Set aside.
4. To prepare the swiss chard, remove the stems (because we only need the leaves) and any tough area that would restrict the action of rolling. Then, blanch in hot water for 20 seconds and place leaves on a chopping board.
5. To assemble, place cous cous in the center of Swiss chard (as shown above). Fold the corners, roll it up and serve.
Hope you enjoyed this recipe! Please follow me on Instagram @teasphoon for updates and leave a comment if you have any questions.
Do stay tuned for more!